Each year we offer a limited number of volunteer counselling placements at the Centre. We recruit during the summer, commence training in September, and for those that go on to successfully complete the assessment at the end of our popular training programme, client work can commence in January. Details of how to apply are at the bottom of this page.
HOW TO APPLY
We have made the decision to not take on any placements for September 2023. Details on how to apply for a placement starting in September 2024 will be posted on this page in May 2024.
If you wish to discuss counselling placements at Carrs Lane Counselling Centre, please telephone 0121 643 6363 and ask to speak to the Counselling Centre Manager.
All applicants should have completed or currently be undertaking, as a minimum, a counselling course at Diploma (level 4) or above. We expect all our counsellors to be members of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) or a similar reputable professional organisation of equal standing. Applicants will also need to evidence that they have received Personal Therapy.
WHY CHOOSE A VOLUNTEER COUNSELLOR PLACEMENT WITH US?
We offer many benefits:
- The opportunity to work within a British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy accredited counselling service. Carrs Lane Counselling Centre has held BACP Accredited Counselling Service status since February 2007. All BACP Accredited Services demonstrate a high level of professionalism and quality of service provision, meeting benchmark standards that are maintained by annual external assessment.
- The opportunity to work with clients from all backgrounds presenting with diverse symptomology.
- The opportunity to conduct short term, medium and longer term counselling work with clients. Unlike many agencies, we do not restrict the number of sessions with clients to less than ten, but seek to provide as much time as is reasonably needed for clients to address their issues.
- Attendance on Continuing Professional Development courses that are held at the Centre throughout the year at no charge.
- To receive free monthly group supervision of your client work at no charge.
- To be part of a team that is supported by experienced clinicians, supervisors and tutors, and by a management structure that ensures all aspects of the service meet the standards required by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy.